Kyloe, a parish in Northumberland, near the coast, opposite Holy Island, 2½ miles SW of Beal railway station, and 5NW by N of Belford. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Beal (R.S.O.) Acreage, including the village of Fenwick and the hamlets of Beal, Bnckton, and Berrington, 9754, besides 1586 of water and foreshore; population of the civil parish, 804; of the ecclesiastical, 725. The surface includes cliffs, hills, and much moor, and the hills are notable for their plants. Coal and limestone abound. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £250 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church stands on an eminence with an extensive view, was rebuilt in 1792 and restored in 1868, and is a plain structure with a tower. It is one of the landmarks to sailors.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Berwick-upon-Tweed|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kyloe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kyloe)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: