Kirkwhelpington, a village, a township, and a parish in Northumberland. The village stands on a cliff above the river Wansbeck, 1 mile N of Knowes Gate station on the North British railway, and 10 miles E by N of Bellingham; contains a good specimen of the smaller peel towers, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office, under Newcastle-on-Tyne. The township comprises 2857 acres; population, 182. The parish contains the townships of Kirkwhelpington, WestWhelp-ington, Crogdean, Hawick, Great Bavington, Catcherside, Coldwell, Fawns, and Capheaton. Acreage, 13, 663; population, 576. The manor belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. Most of the land is pasture. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £340 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church, which is ancient, has been much disfigured by repairs executed during the Georgian period. A very handsome roof of pitch pine has been erected over the nave with other improvements.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Kirkwhelpington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: