Kirkheaton, a parish in Northumberland, at the source of the river Biyth, 4 miles S of Scot's Gap station, 4½ E of Watling Street, and 9½ NE by N of Hexham. Post town, Newcastle-upon-Tyne; money order and telegraph office, Capheaton. Acreage, 2061; population, 133. Black Hill commands an extensive view. Coal is worked, limestone and freestone are quarried, and there is a lime-kiln. The living is a donative, with Throckrington annexed, in the diocese of Newcastle; gross value, £50 with residence. The church is a small building in the Early English style, and was restored in 1894. The vicarage is an old manor-house where Oliver Cromwell spent a few days. A yew tree, upwards of 600 years old, is in the churchyard.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Castle ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kirkheaton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kirkheaton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Kirkheaton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: