Kirkhaugh, a township and a parish in Northumberland, on the South Tyne river, the Maiden Way, and the Alston railway, adjacent to Cumberland, 2 miles SSE of Slaggyford railway station, and 2½ NW by N of Alston. Post town, Alston, under Carlisle. Acreage, 6647 of land and 42 of water; population, 113. The manor belongs to Greenwich Hospital. Much of the land is moor and mountain. Traces of a Roman station, occupying nearly 9 acres, and defended on the W side by ten breastworks and trenches, are at Castle Nook, and three Roman altars and fragments of a colossal statue have been found. Camden says that an inscription was erected here, and a palace built in honour of the Emperor Antoninus in 213 by the third cohort of the Nervii. The living is a discharged rectory in the diocese of Newcastle; gross value, £82. Since 1889 the benefice has been held with Knarsdale. There is also a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Haltwhistle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kirkhaugh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kirkhaugh)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Kirkhaugh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: