UK Genealogy Archives logo

Ingram, Northumberland

Historical Description

Ingram, a township and a parish in Northumberland. The township lies on the river Breamish, 4¼ miles NW of Whittingham, and 3 from Hedgeley station on the N.E.R., and bears the name of Ingram-with-Linhope, Greensidehill, and Hartside. Acreage of township, 7162, of which 67 are water; population, 82. The parish contains also the townships of Reaveley, Fawdon, and Clinch, and its post town and money order and telegraph office is Glanton. Population of ecclesiastical parish, 177. Much of the land is moor and mountain. Traces of an ancient British town are at Lin-hope, and many camps and foundations of habitations are on Ingram Hill or Brough Law. The foundation of a Roman bridge on the Breamish, near the church, was discovered in 1859, in consequence of a change in the course of the river. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; net value, £367 with residence. The church is ancient, comprises only part of the original edifice, was restored and partly rebuilt in 1879, and has a tower.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthumberland 
Ecclesiastical parishIngram St. Michael 
Poor Law unionGlendale 
WardCoquetdale 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Ingram from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Ingram are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online:

CountyNorthumberland
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtNE66
Post TownAlnwick