Humshaugh, a village and a township-chapelry in Simon-bum parish, Northumberland. The village stands near the Roman wall and the river North Tyne,! half a mile NE ol Chollerford railway station, and 5 miles NW by N of Hexham, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) Area of township, including the hamlet of Chollerford, 2041 acres; population, 479. The chapelry extends to the North Tyne, and includes the mansion of Chesters, the seat of the Clayton family, who are the chief landowners, with the rich and interesting remains of the Roman station of Cilumum. Population, 624. The manor belonged formerly to the Swin-burnes. Limestone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; net value,, £123. Patrons, the Governors of Greenwich Hospital. The church, erected in 1818, is a neat modern edifice in the Gothic style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hexham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Humshaugh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Humshaugh)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Humshaugh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: