Humbleton, a township in Wooler parish, Northumberland, 1 mile NW of Wooler. Wooler is the post town, and money order and telegraph office, and has a station on the N.E.R. Acreage, 1615; population, 140. The name was originally Humbledown, has sometimes been written Homildon; and by Shakespeare, in his " Henry IV.," is written Holmedon. A hill here, called Humbleton Hengh, is cut into terraces 30 feet broad, sometimes in three tiers, sometimes in five, probably formed at an early period for purposes of cultivation, and is crowned by an ancient, large, circular camp. A plain below the hill was the scene, in 1402, of a great defeat of the Earl of Douglas and the Duke of Albany by the Earl of Northumberland and his son Hotspur, bears the name of Eedriggs, and has remains of a stone pillar set up to commemorate the event. An urn and a stone coffin, inclosing a gigantic skeleton, were discovered here in 1811.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Glendale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Humbleton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Humbleton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: