Howden or Howden Panns, Northumberland
Howden or Howden Panns, a village and an ecclesiastical parish, in Wallsend parish, Northumberland. The village stands on the river Tyne, adjacent to the Newcastle and Tynemouth railway, 2¼ miles SW by W of North Shields, and has a station, of the name of Howdon-on-Tyne, on the railway, and a post and money order office under Willington Quay (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Willington Quay. There is also a railway station at Willington Quay on the Riverside branch of the N.E.R. It was noted in the 16th and 17th centuries for extensive glass-works; it afterwards had numerous salt pans, whence it took the suffix to its alternative name; it now has shipbuilding yards, brick and white lead works, and the extensive works of the River Tyne Commissioners; and it is adjacent to a commodious dock, called the Northumberland Dock, opened in 1857, and situated in Chirton township, Tynemouth parish. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1859. Population, 6783. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £258 with residence. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels. Howden was the birthplace of Robert Stephenson, and Turner the painter is supposed to have worked here at one time.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Howden or Howden Panns from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Howden-Pans)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: