Houghton and Close House, Northumberland
Houghton and Close House, a township in Heddon-on-the-Wall parish, Northumberland, near the Roman wall, 8½ miles W by N of Newcastle-on-Tyne, and 3 from Wylam station on the N.E.E. Acreage, 617; population, 217. Post, money order, and telegraph office, Wylam (E.S.O.) Close-House belonged to the Eatcliffes and passed to the Bewicks.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Heddon on the Wall|
|Poor Law union||Castle ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Houghton and Close House from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Houghton, with Closehouse)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: