Horton, a township and a parish in Northumberland. The township lies on the river Biyth, 3 miles WSW of Biyth, and 2½ from Cramlington station on the N.E.R. Acreage of township, 2341; population, 2180; of the ecclesiastical parish of Horton-with-Cowpen, 14, 693. The parish contains also the townships of East Hartford, West Hartford, Bebside, and Cowpen, the last of which has a post office. An old. HORTON castle of the Delavels stood here, and the ruins of it were destroyed in 1809. Coal is very extensively worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, —£300 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Woodhom. The church was rebuilt in 1827, and has a tower. There are Wesleyan, Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Christian Lay chapels, and a cemetery.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Tynemouth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Horton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Horton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: