Horncliffe, a village and a township in Norham parish, Northumberland. The village stands on the river Tweed, at the boundary with Scotland, adjacent to Union Bridge and the N.E.R., 5 miles SW of Berwick-upon-Tweed, and 1½ mile from Velvet Hall station on the N.E.R. It has a post and money order office under Norham (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Norham. Acreage of township, 602; population, 307. Union Bridge was constructed in 1820 at a cost of about £5500 after designs by Sir Samuel Brown, R.N., is a suspension bridge for carriages-the first of its kind ever constructed- lias the carriage-way 27 feet above the surface of the stream, and measures 368 feet in length and 18 in width. The higher grounds command a fine view of the Tweed and the Merse. There is a Presbyterian church.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Berwick-upon-Tweed|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Horncliffe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Horncliffe)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Horncliffe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: