Holywell or Halliwell, Northumberland
Holywell or Halliwell, a colliery village and a township in Earsdon parish, Northumberland, 1½ mile from Earsdon, and 4½ miles NNW of North Shields, with a station for goods on the N.E.R. Post town, Newcastle; money order and telegraph office, Seaton Delaval. Acreage, 1376; population, 2782. An institute, with library, reading and billiard-rooms, was opened in 1892. The manor belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. Coal is extensively worked, and there is a mineral spring.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Tynemouth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Holywell or Halliwell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Holywell)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Holywell or Halliwell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: