Holystone or Hallystone, Northumberland
Holystone or Hallystone, a village, a township, and with Alwinton, an ecclesiastical parish in Northumberland. The township lies on the river Coquet, 7 miles W by N of Roth-bury station on the North British railway. Acreage, 5469; population, 91. The ecclesiastical parish contains also the townships of Barrow, Linsheeles, and Harbottle, the last of which has a post and money order office under Rothbury; telegraph office, Alwinton. Much of the land is moor. Camp-ville is situated on the site of a Roman camp. A Benedictine convent for eight nuns was founded at Holystone about 1254 by one of the Umfravilles of Harbottle Castle, and several curious fragments of sculpture which seem to have belonged to it are built into the walls of the present church. " Our Lady's Well," supposed to have belonged to the nunnery, and situated in a little grove of firs at a short distance, is a square basin with a copious spring of pure water, has on the brink an old moss-covered statue of an ecclesiastic, and has also, rising from the water, a tall cross with the inscription, " In this place Paulinus the Bishop baptized 3000 Northumbrians." A prayer-station for pilgrims coming to Holystone was on the moor between it and Elsdon, and is still marked by remains of an ancient stone cross. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Alwinton, in the diocese of Newcastle; gross value, £205. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was partly restored, partly rebuilt in 1849, and has two memorial windows of 1857 to the Dawson family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hallystone St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Rothbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Holystone or Hallystone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hallystone (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Holystone or Hallystone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: