Hepple, a township in Rothbury parish, Northumberland, on the river Coquet, 5½ miles W by S of Bothbury. It includes Hepple Demesne, formerly a separate township. There is a post office at Hepple, under Rothbury; money order office, Harbottle; telegraph office, Rothbury. Acreage, 5919; population, 120. Hepple Woodside is the seat of the lord of the manor and principal landowner, and includes the remains of an ancient castle which belonged to the Bardolfs, the Talboyses, and the Ogles. An ancient chapel stood on Kirk Hill, about a quarter of a mile to the W, was destroyed by the moss-troopers, and was completely removed in 1760. An ancient British camp is at Helchester, near a Roman way, and a number of ums have been found.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Rothbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hepple from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hepple)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Hepple are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: