Hepburn or Hebburn, Northumberland
Hepburn or Hebburn, a hamlet and a township in Chillingham parish, Northumberland, 5 miles SE of Wooler. Post town, Alnwick; money order and telegraph office, Chatton. Acreage, 2106; population, 75. Hebbum Wood is a maze of birches, ferns, and rock; Hebbum Crags are crowned with an ancient camp; and Hebbum Tower, within a gate of Chil-lingham Park, is a good old peel, with a fine pointed window. Limestone is quarried.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hepburn or Hebburn from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hebburn)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: