Henshaw, a township in Haltwhistle parish, Northumberland, on the South Tyne river, and on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, about 1 mile from Bardon Mill railway station, and 3½ miles E of Haltwhistle. Post and money order office, Bardon Mill; telegraph office, Haltwhistle. Acreage, 13, 181, of which 100 are water; population, 486. It now forms part of the ecclesiastical parish of Bellingham, with Henshaw, which was constituted in 1890. Population, 918. The manor belongs to the Blackett family of Matfen HalL The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; gross value, £139 with residence. The church, erected in 1888-89, is a plain building in the Early English style. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels; the latter was enlarged in 1885.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Haltwhistle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Henshaw from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Henshaw)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Henshaw are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: