Hedgeley, a township in Eglingham parish, Northumberland, under the Cheviots, near the river Breamish, 9 miles WNW of Alnwick, with a station on the N.E.R. Post and money order office, Eglingham; telegraph office, Glanton. Acreage, 709; population, 122. Hedgeley Hall is a chief residence. A Druidical circle of ten stones, 114 feet in diameter, is at Three Stone Bum. A skirmish between the-Lancastrians, under Sir Ralph Percy, and the Yorkists, under Lord Montacnte, took place in 1463 on Hedgeley Moor, and was fatal to Sir Ralph Percy. A stone pillar, known as Hedgeley Cross, stands in commemoration of him, and bears the inscription- " "Tis of the Percy's deathless fame, That dark grey cross remains to tell; It bears the Percy's honoured name, for near its base the Percy fell."
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Alnwick|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hedgeley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hedgeley)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: