Heddon on the Wall, Northumberland
Heddon-on-the-Wall, a village, a township, and a parish in Northumberland. The village stands on the Roman wall, 2 miles N of Wylam, and 7 W by N of Newcastle-on-Tyne, with a station on the N.E.R., and a post and money order office under Wylam; telegraph office, Wylam. The fosse of the vallum cuts boldly through it, and is partly used as a pond; a fragment of the wall itself is in the near neighbourhood, and a castellum probably stood on or near the site of the village. The township extends to the Tyne, and comprises 1188 acres; population, 704; of the ecclesiastical parish, 1187. The parish contains also the townships of East Heddon, West Heddon, Eachwick, Whitchester, Houghton-with-Closehouse, and Rndchester, which was included m the parish in 1891. Bricks are made, and there are freestone quarries and collieries near. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £162 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is Norman, and was restored and enlarged in 1851 and a new vestry added. In 1875 it was again restored, and an organ chamber built.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Heddon-on-the-Wall St. Philip and St. James|
|Poor Law union||Castle ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Heddon on the Wall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Heddon-on-the-Wall (St. Philip and St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: