Hebburn or Hebron, Northumberland
Hebburn or Hebron, a village, a township, and a parochial chapelry in Northumberland. The township lies 2¼ miles N of Morpeth station on the N.E.R. Near it is a lofty eminence called Hebbum, which commands an extensive view, and was formerly used as an alarm beacon. Acreage, 1090; population, 109. The chapelry contains also the townships of Cockle Park, Tritlington, Earsdon, Earsdon Forest, Fen-rother, and Causey Park. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Morpeth. The Duke of Portland is lord of the manor and sole landowner of the township. The chapelry is annexed to the rectory of Bothal, in the diocese of Durham. The church, which is a chapel of ease to Bothal, was rebuilt in 1793. There is an old tower at Cockle Park, which was much used during the time of the Border wars.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Morpeth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hebburn or Hebron from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hebburn)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: