UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Haydon or Haydon Bridge, Northumberland

Historical Description

Haydon or Haydon Bridge, a village and an extensive parish in Northumberland, on both banks of the South Tyne river, 7¼ miles W of Hexham, with a station on the N.E.R., a good bridge of six arches, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Carlisle. There are one or two good inns, two churches, four dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a free grammar school, almshouses, an Oddfellows' hall, containing assembly and public entertainment rooms, and a newsroom and library, erected in 1841. J. Martin, the painter, was a native. The ecclesiastical parish, constituted in 1879, contains also the hamlets of Brokenhaugh, Deanrow, Eller-ington, Lipwood, Chesterwood, and Langley Grindon. Acreage of the civil parish, 13, 571; population, 2045; of the ecclesiastical, 2072. The manor belonged in the 14th century to Lords Lucy, and afterwards to the Earls of Derwentwater. On their attainder it was given to Greenwich Hospital. Langley Castle, a large and stately ruin, first mentioned in 1365, forming an oblong, with massive, projecting corner towers, was bought in 1882 by Mr Cadwallader J. Bates, who has thoroughly restored it. There are saw mills, pipe and tile works, an iron foundry, two small coal mines, and quarries. The tract along the Tyne is fertUe and beautiful, but much of the rest of the surface is moor and upland. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church, dedicated to St Cnthbert, is an edifice of 1797, with a square tower.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthumberland 
Civil parishWarden 
Poor Law unionHexham 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Haydon or Haydon Bridge from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: