Hartley Burn, Northumberland
Hartley Burn, a township in Haltwhistle parish, Northumberland, on Hartley rivulet, 2¼ miles S of Haltwhistle, and 1½ mile from Lambley station on the N.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Bardon Mill. Acreage, 3535; population, 510. There are a mechanics' institute, a reading-room, and a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Haltwhistle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hartley Burn from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hartley-Burn)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Hartley Burn are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: