Hallington, a township in St John Lee parish, Northumberland, near the Roman wall, 10 miles NNE of Hexham. It has a post office under Corbridge (R.S.O.); money order office, Matfen; telegraph office, Capheaton. Acreage, 1713;. population, 76. This place was anciently called Halydon; it disputes with St Oswalds being the Hefon Felth or Heaven Field of Bede, so called from a famous battle won by King Oswald in 675; it belonged anciently to Hexham priory, and it had a beacon tower on a curious hill called Hangingshaws. Sir J. M. Errington, Bart., is lord of the manor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hexham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hallington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hallington)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Hallington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: