Guizance or Guyson, Northumberland
Guizance or Guyson, a village and a township in Acklington parish, Northumberland, on the river Coquet, 7 miles S of Alnwick, and 2½ from Acklington station on the N.E.R. The township includes the hamlet of Brainshough. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Acklington. Acreage, 1403; population, 163. The Duke of Northumberland is lord of the manor. A priory was founded here in the 12th century by Eichard Tyson, and was afterwards annexed by Eustace Fitz-John to the abbey of Alnwick. Remains of the nave and chancel of the church still exist, and are Transition Norman. The burying-ground is still occasionally used.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: