Gosforth, a parish in Northumberland, about 3 miles N of Newcastle-on-Tyne, of which it is now an important suburb. It has a station on the Blyth and Tyne branch of the N.E.R., and is connected with Newcastle by tramway.. The parish includes the townships of South Gosforth (47 & acres, population 1067), East Brunton (956 acres, population 133), West Brunton (1143 acres, population 78), Coxlodge (828 acres, population 5607), and Kenton (1454 acres, population 607). It has a head post office. The living of Gosforth is a rectory in the diocese of Newcastle, the Bishop being patron; value, £371. There are Wesleyan Methodist and Presbyterian chapels, and a meeting-house of the Plymouth Brethren.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Gosforth St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Castle ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gosforth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Gosforth (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Gosforth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: