Glanton, a village and a township in Whittingham parish,. Northumberland. The village stands 2 miles N of Whittingham, and 9 W of Alnwick, with a station on the N.E.R.; contains some handsome houses; and has a head post office (R.S.O.), and a Presbyterian church. The township comprises 1392 acres; population, 525. Glanton Pike House is the seat of the Collingwood family. Glanton Pike is a lofty eminence, and was anciently a beacon station to alarm the country in times of danger. There is a petrifying spring. Several stone coffins and urns, with ancient British weapons½ were found va.1716 near Deer Street.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Alnwick|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Glanton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Glanton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Glanton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: