Freeholders Quarter, Northumberland
Freeholders Quarter, a township in Long Horsley parish, Northumberland, 6½ miles NNW of Morpeth. Acreage, 899; population, 103. Post, money order, and telegraph office, Morpeth; Freeland, an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1869 from the civil parish of Eynsham, Oxfordshire, 2— miles NW from Eynsham, and 2¼ SW from Handborough station on the G.W.R. Post town, Oxford; money order office, Eynsham; telegraph office, Handborough. Population, 160. , The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net yearly value, abt £121. The church is a building of stone in the Early English style, and was erected in 1869. There is a small Wesleyan chapel. Freeland Lodge and St Mary's House are chief residences.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Long Horsley|
|Poor Law union||Morpeth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Freeholders Quarter from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Freeholders' Quarter)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: