Flodden, a famous battlefield in Branxton parish, Northumberland, on the river Till, 3 miles ESE of Cornhill. Itwas the scene of the defeat of the Scottish army under James IV. by the Earl of Surrey in 1513. Flodden Hill, on which the Scottish army was posted, is an outskirt of the Cheviots sloping to the Till; the plain of Milfield, across which the English army advanced to the attack, extends down the Till toward the Tweed; and the actual battlefield lies around the junction of the hill and the plain-is now intersected by the road from Coldstream to Newcastle-and has an unhewn pillar called the King's Stone marking thespot where James IV. fell. This place has been characterized as- "Flodden's fatal field, "Where shivered was fair Scotland's spear, And broken was her shield."
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Flodden are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: