Fenwick (Stamfordham), Northumberland
Fenwick, a township in Stamfordham parish, Northumberland, on an affluent of the river Pont, 13¼ miles NW by W of Newcastle-on-Tyne. Post town, Newcastle. Acreage, 164:7; population, 66. There are two coal mines. Fenwick Tower here was for ages the seat of the Fenwicks, but was forfeited in 1688, and has long been in ruins. A large quantity of gold nobles of Edward III. was found at the taking down of a part of the wall of it in 1775. The remains of it now are small, and have been absorbed into the structure of a farmhouse. The Fenwicks were long conspicuous actors in the Border wars, and they are noticed as follows in the ballad of the Eaid of Kedswire:-<11 saw come marching o'er the knows Five hundred. Fenwicks in a flock, With jack and spurs and bowia all bent, And warlike weaponis at their will."
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Castle ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Fenwick (Stamfordham) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Fenwick)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Fenwick (Stamfordham) are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: