UK Genealogy Archives logo

Falstone, Northumberland

Historical Description

Falstone, a village and a parish in Northumberland. The village stands on the North Tyne river, and is connected with Stannersburn by a fine stone bridge of three arches, erected in 1853, adjacent to the Border Counties section of the North British railway, 8 miles NW of Bellingham, and has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office. The parish includes the townships of Wellhaugh and PIashetts, and was formed out of Simonburn in 1811. Population, 590. The surface includes some valley-land, but is mainly wild moor and mountainous land. Game abounds, coal is plentiful, and there are several mineral springs. There are collieries and freestone and limestone quarries. Near here is Kielder Castle, a shooting box of the Duke of Northumberland. Numerous traces exist of strongholds of the ancient Britons, and there is a complete specimen of a border peel tower. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £272 with residence. Patrons, the 'Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital. The church is a small building in the Perpendicular style, and was restored in 1892, ½ind there is an English Presbyterian chapel, rebuilt in 1876.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthumberland 
Poor Law unionBellingham 
WardTindale 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Falstone from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Falstone are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online:

CountyNorthumberland
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtNE48
Post TownHexham