Fallowfield, a township in St John Lee parish, Northumberland, near the Roman wall, 3½ miles N of Hexham, which is the post town. Acreage, 667; population, 31. There are lead mines and a colliery here. Fallowfield Fell commands a fine view, was quarried for the Roman wall, and has a Roman inscription on a grey stone called the Written Eock.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hexham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Fallowfield from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Fallowfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: