Woodford, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Prestbury parish, Cheshire. The village is 1½ mile S of Bramhall station on the L. & N.W.R., and 5 miles S by W of Stockport. Post town, Stockport; money order office, Bramhall; telegraph office, Handforth. The township comprises 1464 acres; population, 332. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1873. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester; gross value, £136 with residence. The church, built in 1841, was restored in 1871.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Macclesfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Woodford from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Woodford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.