Elswick, a township and three ecclesiastical parishes in Newcastle St John parish, Northumberland. The township is divided into High and Low Elswick, lies on the river Tyne, and on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, and with the township of Westgate constitutes the western portion of the municipal and parliamentary borough of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Elswick East, North, and South form three of the sixteen wards into which the borough is divided. It has several post, money order, and telegraph offices under Newcastle - upon-Tync. Acreage, 807; population, 51,608. The manor belonged to Tynemouth priory, and passed successively to the Jennisons and the Hodgsons. Elswick Park, with the old mansion Elswick Hall, was purchased by the Corporation of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and opened in 1878, after various alterations and improvements had been carried out. The Hall is utilized as a museum. Coal and stone are plentiful, and the former was worked as early as the 14th century. Extensive lead works, and the well-known ordnance, engineering, and shipbuilding works of Armstrong, Mitchell, & Co., and various other manufactories, employ most of the inhabitants. Ships of war, complete with their armament, are launclicd from the Elswick works, and H.M.S. Victoria, the ill-fated vessel which sank in the Mediterranean after collision with the Camperdown in 1893, was launched here. The Newcastle workhouse is here. The parishes are St Paul St Stephen, and St Philip, and the first was constituted in 1846, the other two in 1868. The livings are vicarages in the diocese of Newcastle; value of St Paul, £340; of St Stephen, £340; of St Philip, o£300. Patrons, of St Paul, trustees; of St Stephen, the Bishop; of St Philip, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. There are also several dissenting chapels. See also NEWCASTLE.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Newcastle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Elswick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Elswick)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Elswick are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: