Ellingham, a village, a township, and a parish, in Northumberland. The township lies 2 miles WSW of Chathill station on the N.E.R., and 6¼ SSE of Belford. Acreage of the township, 3176; population, 251; of the ecclesiastical parish, 622. The parish contains also the townships of Chathill, Preston, Doxford, and North Charlton. Ellingham Hall is the seat of the Haggerston family. The manor belonged, in the time of Henry III., to Ralph de Gangy. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £482. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church dates from the 12th century, and has a central embattled tower. It was rebuilt in 1862. There is a Roman Catholic chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ellingham St. Maurice|
|Poor Law union||Alnwick|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ellingham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ellingham (St. Maurice))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Ellingham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: