Edlingham, a township, village, and parish in Northumberland. The township lies near Avdon Forest, 6 miles SW of Alnwick, and has a post office under Alnwick; money order office, Whittingham; telegraph office, Alnwick. It has a station on the N.E.R. Acreage, 5818; population, 106. The parish contains the townships of Abberwick, Lemming-ton, Leal-child, Broom Park, and Bolton. Population, 460. A castle of the Swinbornes stood here, and some ruins of it still exist. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £350 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church, dating from the 12th century, is in fair condition.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Edlingham St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Alnwick|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Edlingham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Edlingham (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Edlingham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: