Woodchurch, a township and a parish in Cheshire. The township lies 4 miles WSW of Birkenhead, and has a post office under Birkenhead; money order and telegraph office, Birkenhead. Acreage, 338; population, 129. The parish contains also the townships of Prenton, Landican, Thingwall, Irby, Arrow, Noctorum, Barnston, and Oxton, and part of Claughton. Acreage, 5833; population of the civil parish, 5982; of the ecclesiastical, 1121. Arrow Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester; net value, £594 with residence. The church is Decorated. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel at Irby.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Woodchurch Holy Cross|
|Poor Law union||Wirrall|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Woodchurch from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Woodchurch (Holy Cross))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Woodchurch are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.