East Denton, Northumberland
Denton, East, a township in Sugley parish, Northumberland, on the Roman wall, 3½ miles WNW of Newcastle-upon-Tyne railway station. It has a post office named Denton, under Newcastle-on-Tyne; money order and telegraph office, Scotswood. It includes part of the village of Scotswood. Acreage, 764; population, 1060.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Castle ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Denton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Denton, East)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of East Denton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: