Duddo, a small village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish formed from Norham parish, Northumberland. The township lies 3 miles SSW of Norham railway station. Post town, money order and telegraph office, Norhann. Acreage, 1886; population, 199. Grindon Rigg here was the scene of a victory by the English over the Scots in 1558, and it has some memorials of the battle, and a small Druidical circle and a barrow. The ecclesiastical parish comprises the townships of Duddo, Felkington, Shoreswood, and part of Twizel, and was constituted in 1865. Population, 604. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; value, £243 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Newcastle. The present parish church is situated about a mile from the hamlet of Duddo, on the high road to Berwick-upon-Tweed (6j miles), and was consecrated in 1881. The old parish church is now used as a school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Berwick-upon-Tweed|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Duddo from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Duddo)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Duddo are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: