Doddington, a village, a township, and a parish in Northumberland. The township lies near the river Till, 3 miles N of Wooler station on the N.E.R., and has a post office under Wooler (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Wooler. Acreage, 4917; population, 222. The parish contains also the townships of Nesbit, Ewart, and the Fentons. Population, 510. The Earl of Tankerville is lord of the manor and-principal landowner. There are remains of a Druidical temple, and Danish and British encampments; there is also a remarkable spring called " The Dod Well," which yields 73 gallons of water per minute. The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value,. £237 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church is Early English and good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Glendale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Doddington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Doddington)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Doddington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: