Dinnington, a township and a parish in Northumberland. The township lies near the source of the river Font, 4 miles from Annitsford station on the N.E.R., and 7¼ NNW of Newcastle-on-Tyne, and has a post office under Newcastle-on-Tyne; money order and telegraph office, Seaton Burn. Acreage, 789; population, 271. The parish includes also the townships of Horton-Grange, Brenkley, Mason, and Prestwick. Population, 1514. A colliery is situated in Mason township. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; gross value, £181. A new church was erected in 1886, when the old one, which had been erected in 1835, was taken down. There is also a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Castle ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dinnington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Dinnington)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Dinnington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: