Witton, a parochial chapelry in Great Budworth parish, Cheshire, forming the ancient townships of Northwich,Witton, Castle Northwich, and Winnington, Lostock and Hartford being dissevered therefrom, and part of Northwich being added to the new parish of St Paul, Danebridge. Population, 12,033. The manor of Witton, which had passed from the Barons of Shipbrook to the Leicester family, was sold in 1878 by order of the Court of Chancery to various purchasers, and the advowson was sold and passed into the patronage of the Bishop of Chester; net value, £250. The church, dedicated to St Helen, formerly stood in the centre of the town; it was rebuilt in the Early Perpendicular period of Gothic architecture, and greatly enlarged in the years previous to 1560, when the choir and tower were built. The fabric has been lately restored with entirely new N aisle and vestry, the 18th century galleries being taken down. The sanctus belfry still remains intact
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Great Budworth|
|Poor Law union||Northwich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Witton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.