Cresswell, a village, a township, and ecclesiastical parish in Woodhorn parish, Northumberland. The township lies on the coast, 3½ miles ESE of Widdrington railway station, and 9 NE of Morpeth. Post town, Ellington, under Morpeth. Acreage, 1098; population of the township, 201; of the ecclesiastical parish, 385. The ecclesiastical parish is more extensive than the township, and comprises the township of Ellington, and was constituted in 1836. Cresswell Hall, built in 1825 after designs by Shaw, is the seat of the Baker-Cresswell family, who are chief landowners. A very ancient peel tower here, 21½ feet by 16, consists of strong rude masonry, and is supposed to date from the time of King John. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; value, £169. The church is in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Morpeth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cresswell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cresswell)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Cresswell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: