Crawley, a township in Eglingham parish, Northumberland, on the river Brearnish, 8 miles WNW of Alnwick, and About 1 mile from Hedgeley station on the N.E.R. Post town, Alnwick; money order and telegraph office, Glanton. Acreage, 323; population, 28. Crawley Tower is a fine specimen of a border peel tower, stands at the S end of a Roman camp, and commands a fine view of the Vale of Whittingham and the course of the Breamish. Several British and Saxon entrenchments are in the vicinity.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Crawley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Crawley)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: