Craster, a township in Embleton parish, Northumberland, on the coast, 2½ miles from Little Mill station on the N.E.R., and 6 NE of Alnwick. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Lesbnry (R.S.O.) Acreage, 648; population, 197. This township has belonged for six centuries to the family of Craster. Craster Tower, the seat of the family who are lords of the manor, is a handsome mansion, part of which dates from the 14th century. There is a small church here which is served by the Embleton clergy. There is a coastguard station here with the Board of Trade rocket apparatus. Herring and other fisheries are largely carried on.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Alnwick|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Craster from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Craster)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Craster are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: