Cowpen, a village and a township in Horton parochial chapelry, Blyth parish, Northumberland, at the mouth of the river Blyth, 1 mile W by N of Blyth, and 1 from Bebside station on the N.E.R., with a post office, of the name of Cowpen, under Bebside (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Blyth. The township includes the villages of Cowpen, Cowpen Quay, Crofton, and Waterloo. Acreage, 1738; population, 12,982. The principal industries are shipbuilding, glass bottle making, and there are also extensive collieries and sawmills. Cowpen Hall is the seat; of the Sidney family. There is a Roman Catholic chapel, and a mission chapel connected with the parish church oi Horton.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Tynemouth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cowpen from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cowpen, or Coopen)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Cowpen are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: