Corsenside, a township and a parish in Northumberland, on Watling Street and the river Reed, around Woodburn railway station, and 5½ miles NE of Bellingham. The parish, ' Includes the villages of East Woodbum and West Woodburn, and the hamlets of Ridsdale and Cragg. It has a post and money order office at West Woodburn; telegraph office, Bellingham. Acreage, 11,455 of land and 49 of water; population, 621. The Duke of Northumberland is lord of the manor. Ironstone and limestone occur, and have been largely worked. At Eidsdale are iron mines, the property of Armstrong, Mitchell & Co., Ltd. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; value, £209. The church is small and ancient, and was restored and reseated in 1875-76. There is a Free Methodist chapel and a small chapel of ease.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bellingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Corsenside from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Corsenside)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Corsenside are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: