Cornhill, a village and a parish in Northumberland. The village stands adjacent to the Tweedmouth and Kelso railway, about a mile from the Tweed, one-fourth mile from Coldstream station on the N.E.R., and 5½ miles SSW of Norham. It has a good inn, a Monday fortnightly cattle market, a lamb and wool fair in first week of July, and a fail-on 6 Dec., and is a good centre for anglers. It has a post and telegraph office (R.S.O.); money order office, Coldstream. The parish comprises the townships of Cornhill, Heatou Old. and New, and Tillmouth. Area, 4944 acres of land and 90 of water; population, 634. Traces exist of a castle taken by the Scots in 1549. There is a well formed by a petrifying spring. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £300. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is Early English, and was thoroughly renovated in 1840, since which several additions have been made.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Berwick-upon-Tweed|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cornhill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cornhill)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: