Cocklaw, a township in St Oswald-in-Lee ecclesiastical parish, Northumberland, near the Roman wall and the North Tyne river, 4¼ miles N of Hexham, and 1 mile from Chollerton station on the North British railway. Post town, Wall; money order and telegraph office, Humshaugh. Acreage, 3764;. population, 154. Cocklaw Tower here, now a ruin, was the seat of the Erringtons. The church of St Oswald is in this township. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £146, in the gift of W. B. Beaumont, Esq.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hexham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cocklaw from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cocklaw)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Cocklaw are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: