Wirral, a peninsula in the NW of Cheshire, between the estuaries of the Mersey and the Dee. Drayton, in his " Polyolbion," thus speaks of it:-" Oh, thrice happy shire, confined so to be 'Twixt two so famous floodes as Mersey is and Dee; Thy Dee upon the -west from Wales doth thee divide. Thy Mersey on the north from the Lancastrian side."
It contains the county and parliamentary borough of Birkenhead. The Birkenhead and Wirral railways traverse the peninsula. The former connects Liverpool and Birkenhead with Chester, and has branches from Helsby to Hooton, and from Hooton to West Kirby. The latter connects Liverpool and Birkenhead with New Brighton and West Kirby. A chain of high ground runs through the peninsula.
Wirral Parliamentary Division of Cheshire was formed under the Redistribution of Seats Act of 1885, and returns one member to the House of Commons. Population, 73,119. The division includes the following:-Wirral-Arrow, Barnston, Bebington (Higher), Bebington (Lower), Bidston-cum-Ford, Brimstage, Bromborough, Burton, Caldy, Childer Thornton, Claughton-cum-Grange, Eastham, Frankby, Gayton, Grange, Greasby, Heswell-cum-Oldfield, Hooton, Hoose, Irby, Landican, Ledsham, Leighton, Liscard, Meolse (Great), Meolse (Little), Moreton, Neston (Great), Neston (Little), Ness, Netherpool, Newton-cum-Larton, Noctorum, Overpool, Oxton, Pensby, Poulton-cum-Seacombe, Poulton-cum-Spital, Prenton, Puddington, Raby, Saughall Massie, Storeton, Sutton (Great), Sutton (Little), Thingwall, Thornton Hough, Thurstaston, Tranmere, Upton, Wallasey, Westkirby, Willaston, Woodchurch; Chester Castle (part of)- Backford, Blacon-cum-Crabwall, Capenhurst, Chorlton, Claughton, Lea, Mollington (Great), Mollington (Little), Saughall (Great), Saughall (Little), Shotwick, Shotwick Park, Stanlow, Stanney (Great), Stanney (Little), Stoke, Whitby, Woodbank.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online: