Choppington, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Bedlington parish, Northumberland. The village lies on the river Wansbeck, and on the Morpeth and Tynemouth section of the N.E.R., 3½ miles ESE of Morpeth, and has a station on the railway and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) The parish was constituted in 1863. Population, 4117. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; value, £300, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Newcastle. The church was built in 1864 at a cost of £1950. There are Conservative and Liberal Clubs and Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Morpeth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Choppington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Choppington)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Choppington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: