Chollerton, a township and a parish in Northumberland. The township lies on the North Tyne river and the North British railway, adjacent to the Roman wall, 6½ miles NNW of Hexham, and has a station on the railway. The parish contains also the villages of Barrasford, which has a post and money order office (R.S.O.), Colwell, Great Swinburn, Gun-nerton, Tone, and Chipchase. Acreage, 14,149; population of the civil parish, 1097; of the ecclesiastical, 1010. Swinburn and Chipchase are modern seats on the site of ancient castles. Swinburn is the seat of the Riddell family, and Chipchase of the Taylor family. A victory was obtained in the south at the Roman wall in 635 by King Oswald over Ceadwallon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; gross value, £374 with residence. The church is good, and was restored in 1875. A coal pit is worked here.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chollerton St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Hexham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chollerton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Chollerton (St. Giles))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Chollerton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: